Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wheel of Wonder July 1 2012

Half way through 2012 Western Washington is still here.  I've encountered more spiritual people though.  Could that be the change of things 2012 is going to bring us?  Some believe it's the  Medicine Wheel Rituals so often performed these days that are helping us through this time.  Last week I had the occasion to experience such a ceremony on Midsummer's Eve, a holiday the Neo-Pagans call Litha.  The energy was strong and the healing and connecting quite present.  It was fortuitous for me as well.  I've just recently been reading the book "Walking on the Wind:  Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance" by Michael Garret (1998 Bear and Company Publishing, Santa Fe, NM)  I was most interested in "The Rule of Opposites" it states among other things that both opposites are real and both are right, its just the same idea seen from a different perspective.  Much like the Native American Elder at The Medicine Wheel ceremony described the more "European" (I say Neo-Pagan) ceremonies people are doing.  They are all trying to achieve the same thing: Living harmoniously together, and healing the Earth.  It turns out that the Elder in question was part Cherokee too!  After I told her about Wheel of Wonder she asked if I would share some of the words from "Walking on the Wind"  with the people listening, as long as I gave credit to the Native American Man who wrote the book.  I did, and I focussed on the "Rule of Opposites" the Author shared seven main lessons from it, and I made it through most of them.  This week I will share the last two. "Understanding underlying truths eliminates any need for discord in our lives."  and  "Through Choice of perspective and appropriate action, we are free to balance ourselves as we see fit." (pp. 99-101 Garret) and perhaps a bit more of his work and some of the work of Christopher Penczak as well.  Of course the same musical ambience and independent voices you have come to expect if you listen to Wheel of Wonder will be present too!
PS:  Check out the new links!  The Medicine Wheel picture above was created by a Cree artist named Gordon Perreault.  Check out more of his work here. Those who do not want to follow this link check google, one of the strings to his work may have malware. (I don't think its this one)

No comments:

Post a Comment